Justice for ‘Junior’: in which the Lesandro Guzman-Feliz murder instance stands now
Thursday may be the anniversary that is one-year of “Junior” Guzman-Feliz’s death.
The gang-related killing of 15-year-old Lesandro Guzman-Feliz 12 months ago delivered shock waves through their Bronx community, as family and friends mourned the increasing loss of a “sweet kid” who had dreamed to become an authorities detective.
The NYPD arrested 14 suspects, living as much as its vow of leaving “no stone that are unturned the investigation to the slaying of Guzman-Feliz, who had been affectionately called “Junior.”
On June 14, the five males accused of fatally stabbing the teenager had been found bad of first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack. Eight other suspects, who will be accused of involved in the attack but didn’t stab Guzman-Feliz, are increasingly being tried individually. One suspect pleaded bad into the full situation and it is cooperating utilizing the prosecution.
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill has credited the arrests towards the public’s “unrivaled help” plus an “outpouring of nonstop assistance” in case.
A mural of Lesandro “Junior” Guzman-Feliz on East Street that is 184th and Avenue within the Bronx on July 3, 2018. Picture Credit: Marisol Diaz-Gordon
Keep reading to find out more about Guzman-Feliz together with aftermath of their death.
The assault on Guzman-Feliz had been apparently situation of mistaken identification
On June 20, 2018, surveillance movie captured a few males dragging Guzman-Feliz away from a bodega on East 183rd Street into the Belmont area of the Bronx and over over and over over repeatedly stabbing him within the throat and the body with knives and a machete.
Following the suspects fled, Guzman-Feliz been able to run to St that is nearby Hospital, where he collapsed in the entry and passed away. The town medical examiner’s workplace stated he passed away of a stab injury to your throat and ruled their death a homicide.
Police think the killing had been pertaining to intra-gang violence and that Guzman-Feliz had been erroneously targeted. The teenager had kept their household to offer some one $5 and encountered the suspects on their in the past house, NYPD officials stated.
The suspects, thinking the teenager ended up being a part of the competing faction of the gang, chased Guzman-Feliz in to the bodega after which dragged him out onto the sidewalk before stabbing and slashing him, in accordance with authorities.
Guzman-Feliz’s death quickly caught the interest of high-ranking NYPD officials, including Chief of Department Terence Monahan, who called it “among many brutal crimes he’d that is seen. Detectives vowed to root every person out included and hold them accountable.
3 days following the slaying, the suspects that are first arrested. Associated with 14 males who will be charged, five have now been convicted of fatally stabbing Guzman-Feliz. One other nine suspects are accused to be active in the lethal crime.
Here you will find the 14 suspects while the costs against them:
- Manuel Rivera, associated with Bronx: Guilty of very very first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
- Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago, of this Bronx: Guilty of very first- check this link right here now and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
- Elvin Garcia, of Manhattan: Guilty of very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Jonaiki Martinez Estrella, of Freeport: Guilty of first- and murder that is second-degree conspiracy and gang attack.
- Jose Muniz, for the Bronx: Guilty of very very very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
- Diego Suero, for the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and possession that is criminal of gun.
- Frederick Then, of studying, Pennsylvania: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang attack, conspiracy and possession that is criminal of tool.
- Ronald Urena, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, gang assault, conspiracy and criminal control of the tool.
- Luis A. Cabrera Santos, of this Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and unlawful control of the tool.
- Danilo Payamps Pacheco, for the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and unlawful control of the tool.
- Gabriel Ramirez Concepcion, associated with Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of gun.
- Jose Taverez, associated with the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of weapon.
- Danel Fernandez, for the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and possession that is criminal of gun.
- Kevin Alvarez, for the Bronx: faced with second-degree murder, manslaughter, conspiracy, gang attack and unlawful control of a gun. He pleaded bad and testified against five of this primary defendants accused of fatally stabbing Guzman-Feliz.
The murder trial
Guilty – that has been the jury’s verdict up against the five males whom delivered the blows that are fatal Guzman-Feliz.
The trial, which began may 6, stumbled on an in depth on June 14 after not as much as 2 days of jury deliberations. Jose Muniz, Elvin Garcia, Manuel Rivera, Antonio Rodriguez Hernandez Santiago and Jonaiki Martinez Estrella were discovered responsible of very first- and second-degree murder, conspiracy and gang attack.
The victim’s mother, Leandra Feliz, thanked God when it comes to accountable verdicts. “My son had been a good kid. He had been just 15 years of age. He had been doing the very best when you look at the school,” she said at a news meeting outside the Bronx Supreme Court building.
Throughout the very very very first complete time associated with the test, Tamika Jones, 21, testified that she witnessed the assault from her apartment screen and shouted for Guzman-Feliz to perform to the nearby medical center.
“By the full time we got downstairs, he had been already as you’re watching medical center, collapsed,” Jones said. “He had blood all over their human anatomy. He had been attempting to remain alive, holding his injury himself. Their words that are last water — he asked for water.”
Throughout the second week of testimony, Feliz started screaming “no, no, no” and crying hysterically until she had been escorted through the courtroom, according to published reports.
The event apparently occurred while Alvarez had been cross-examined by way of a protection lawyer. Feliz told News 12 The Bronx that her blood pressure levels rose whenever surveillance movie of her son was played that showed Alvarez grabbing at her son after a counter was opened by a bodega worker door near where he had been hiding.
An ambulance had been called into the courthouse but she had not been taken up to a medical center, according to reports that are published. She had been apparently expected to go out of the courtroom on another event for speaking down during test testimony.
Guzman-Feliz’s daddy also apparently needed to leave the courtroom within a split event, after their son’s blood-soaked clothes ended up being presented as proof.
“I saw my son’s t-shirt that is bloody we never desire to view it once again,” Lisandro Guzman told reporters away from courthouse.
Suspected users of the Trinitarios gang
The suspects are purported people of the Los Sures group of the Trinitarios road gang, in accordance with the NYPD.
The group gathered at Suero’s Boston Road home and planned to attack another set of Trinitarios, called Sunset, police said on the night of Guzman-Feliz’s death. Suero may be the suspected frontrunner of Los Sures, relating to Bronx District Attorney Darcel Clark.
The suspects piled into four vehicles and drove into the territory regarding the competing gang, come upon Guzman-Feliz and chased him in to the bodega, Clark stated.
After the stabbing, the suspects went back again to Suero’s home to cover up their weapons which help Garcia, whoever hand ended up being cut through the assault, based on Clark.
The region lawyer also dispelled past posted reports that stated Guzman-Feliz was mistakenly targeted due to an intercourse tape with a lady related to one of many suspects.
“As far even as we know, at the moment, there is no reference to any sex tape to the case that is particular” Clark stated. “That was stated on social media but which includes perhaps maybe perhaps not been the info that individuals have actually inside our instance.”
Shea has said the Trinitarios were proven to the department before Guzman-Feliz’s death. Ever since then, police have actually arrested at the very least 79 purported Trinitarios members over the populous town, mostly on felony fees, in accordance with Shea.
“This ended up being one case that is significant Trinitarios, but we’re planning to continue steadily to target perhaps not just the Trinitarios but any road gang this is certainly associated with physical physical violence in nyc,” Shea included.
The NYPD connection
Before his death, Guzman-Feliz had aspired to be a authorities detective and ended up being an associate associated with the NYPD’s Explorers program, a business that is designed to show teenagers and adults the significance of respect, self-discipline and furthering their training through training and community solution tasks.
The NYPD in addition to Police Foundation have actually put up a scholarship honoring Guzman-Feliz. The Lesandro Guzman-Feliz Memorial university Fund provides two $5,000 scholarships each to members of the Explorers program to be used toward tuition and school supplies upon enrollment in an accredited college year.